27 March 2012

March Madness


March wind is a jolly fellow;
He likes to joke and play.
He turns umbrellas inside out
And blows men's hats away.
He calls the pussy willows
And whispers in each ear,
"Wake up you lazy little seeds,
Don't you know that spring is here."
-Author Unknown


I have been wishing to get outdoors with my clippers, but there was business keeping me inside. Business like: math to monitor, breakfast dishes to wash, laundry to fold, phone calls to return. The boys were long gone. Word got around that the public school was closed today for teacher inservice so the little boys worked quickly to get outside. 

It was a lovely day, but the wind was almost barbaric. And with the wild wind came a chill in the air that had the oldest asking if we could turn on the heat. When I said no, he asked,"Can you give me more algebra questions? These word problems are not fun."  With 28 questions completed, he went to find his gun. The sunshine called us down to the Eastern Plain (not to be confused with the Eastern Forest)-which the oldest calls our backyard and our back, backyard. The boy shot as I clipped some redbud branches and forsythia. My boys love to call the vibrant yellow bush "For Cynthia" after their Aunt Cissy.







Red-Bud

I will go, I said, to the country 
      When the red-bud blooms in the spring 
And then, as of old, for sheer rapture 
      My heart will sing. 
  
The red-bud rosily blossomed 
      In valley and hill and plain, 
And yet my heart could not banish 
      Its sense of pain.

__May Frink Converse



I hope you have time to go outdoors and enjoy this glorious spring for soon it will pass and you will be sad you did not enjoy it while you had the chance! xo










No comments: