28 February 2012

Aunt Jack

She trusted me with champagne and a microphone-now that is love!

Happiest of birthdays to this girl. We met our freshman year in college when she walked into my un-airconditioned dorm room at a private all girls' college in the midwest and said, "Hello, my name is Jacqueline Hope, and I am from Coral Gables, Florida." 
So very Miss America! 
And from that day forward she has been the truest of friends in the truest of ways. From contending with ex-boyfriends to inspiring me with the double faced satin ribbon, this girl is my heart, my partner in crime. Despite the miles between us, somehow we have managed to sustain a most endearing friendship. It was during her studies at Duke Divinity that I traveled to tell her some exciting news, I was going to be a mother. She still claims our firstborn is named after her. And you know, I am fine with that. If he grows up to have half the wit and grit of this woman, then my work as a mother will have been satisfied. 
I cannot imagine a more comforting person to work as a chaplain-and a pediatric chaplain at that. Mercy!
She's my Rev, my counselor, the wisest, bravest, most generous, smartest, and best dressed girl I know. She keeps me on my manicured toes and inspires me to grab life with both hands and savor it well. 

I love you, dear Q. You make me better! xoxo

No comments: