19 January 2012

He fought the law and the law won

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more.
Lord Byron


Photograph of the Appalachian Trail taken by the 12 year old from our backyard


I adore soundtracks from movies. Besides the landscapes and fashion worn, I am often distracted from the actual storyline by the music. One of my favorite movies Into the Wild also happens to be a tragic true story of a boy named Christopher McCandless.

As a mother to a son, 4 actually, this book/movie resounded in my soul. It frightened me. It excited me. It saddened me. A boy so misunderstood by his own family that when he went missing they had no idea where to look for him. Kind of reminds me of Jesus's family when He went missing. "Did you not know I would be in my Father's house?" 

For Chris McCandless his father's house was the wilderness specifically rural Alaska. Have you read the book? I personally enjoyed the movie more probably because of the soundtrack performed by Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam fame. 

Do you know how the story ends? This boy fought the law (of nature) and the law won. Maybe that was his happy ending after all.

My favorite Eddie Vedder song is from the movie. It is called Rise

Such is the way of the world
You can never know
Just where to put all your faith
And how will it grow


Gonna rise up
Burning back holes in dark memories
Gonna rise up
Turning mistakes into gold


Such is the passage of time
Too fast to fold
And suddenly swallowed by signs
Low and behold


Gonna rise up
Find my direction magnetically
Gonna rise up
Throw down my ace in the hole


Listen here.



I hope if you ever go missing, those who love you know where to go to find you. Mine would check the local thrift stores followed by the bakery. 


xo



No comments: