22 May 2012

Girl {Friday}, Interrupted

Dear Boys o' Mine,


It has recently come to my attention that you didn't know me before I was a mother. Well, how could you really? But before you were throwing up on my sofa and peeing in my bushes, I had a life that was adventurous and spontaneous. O, sure your father and I didn't have a lot of money. We were young, newly minted grad students, who rented cute places around exciting cities and called it "a broadening experience". I had a career that involved working with little people in the field of education. We traveled. We relished our Friday night pizza and movie date nights snuggling on the sofa. We frequented State Parks and quirky flea markets. Hiking was our passion. Before you interrupted our lives, we read and ate good food. 
we heart ny
And then you came and well, you know what? Nothing changed. We are still renting cute places around exciting cities and calling it "a broadening experience". I am still working with children in the field of education-you guys, you knuckle heads. You guys still talk about the trip to Chicago to see the Egypt exhibit at the Field Museum that we took when George was 6 weeks old. O, and taking the train to New York was fun too. All those trips to the ocean-both Atlantic and the Gulf. And just this weekend we went to not one, but two flea markets. You guys hiked the entire section of the Maryland Appalachian Trail-all 41 miles of it. Hmmmm. 
mama in an apron-check. candy in mouth-check. book in hand-check. dog at our feet-check.
Our evenings are still spent with our nose in a good book. You guys named the dog after a favorite author-Rudyard Kipling. State Parks are our favorite destinations when we have a little extra time to play. Our fair state of Maryland has more than you can shake a stick at. 


As for eating and enjoying good food, you guys know how to throw down some tasty vittles like no body's business. Two of you have begun to enjoy the art of blending with the help of a superpower blender.
And we still relish our Friday nights of pizza and a movie only there are few more people on our sofa for snuggling. I guess the one thing that changed is that now we drink a little more beer and sip a little more wine because, well, raising kids is fun.{cue smiles}
i prefer to drink my fruit.
Now that I think about it, my life hasn't changed really all that much since you arrived. You came. And we kept on going. Sure hope you know how glad we are to have you along for the ride. 


xo
Your Mom, aka Girl Friday







No comments: